Museo di Roma was founded in 1930 as the first civic museum in the city of Rome. Although the initial aim of the museum was to document the local history and traditions, it is now principally an art museum with a permanent collection, regularly hosting temporary exhibitions.
On display are antique paintings, sculptures, furniture, ceramics and jewelry. The collection includes work by Flemish Baroque sculptor François Duquesnoy (1597-1643), Italian painter and leader of Baroque classicism Andrea Sacchi (1599-1661), and Flemish painter and engraver Jan Miel (1599-1663).
The museum is housed in Palazzo Braschi, a Neoclassical building in the centre of Rome, located between Piazza San Pantaleo and Piazza Navona. It was commissioned in 1791 by Duke Luigi Braschi Onesti with the support of his uncle Pope Pius VI.
In 1871, the Braschi Onesti family sold the building to the Italian State, first housing the seat of the Ministry of Interior and then the political headquarters of Benito Mussolini. After the second world war, Palazzo Braschi became a home to displaced families, until Museo di Roma moved to the building in 1952.